March is National Poison Prevention Month. So Know What To Do If Your Pet Ingests Something They Shouldn’t

 

gettyimages-135584955_custom-696499fec60013fe3aa8aef462d779e683b7342b-s900-c85

Keeping your pets safe is not always an easy task. It is amazing how fast they can grab something off the ground or the counter or the table.  Depending on what they have ingested  the results can be a really bad tummy ache or much much worse.  It is important to call your vet immediately to determine what to do next. Sometimes it can be handled at home with a little hydrogen peroxide and  other times it is a fast trip in the car to the Emergency room.  There are some great resources out there to help you determine what is and what is not toxic for your pets.

A few that may not be so well known are vitamins, especially vitamin D which will can result in Kidney failure  and death in large doseshttp://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/toxicity/c_dg_vitamin_d_toxicity#.UTVJm9bxSaQ

Certain types of nut can also be toxic in smaller doses than you would think. http://www.pawnation.com/2013/03/04/nuts-that-are-unsafe-for-dogs-to-eat

Here are the top ten  items called into the ASPCA hotline from 2013

Dogs: Top 10 Toxins of 2013 from the ASPCA Pet Poison Help Line

  1. Chocolate: Dark equals dangerous! Bakers and dark chocolate are the most toxic, and milk chocolate if ingested in large amounts.
  2. Xylitol: This sweetener found in sugarless chewing gum and candy, medications and nasal sprays causes a rapid drop in blood sugar and liver failure only in dogs (not cats).
  3. NSAIDs: Ibuprofen, naproxen, etc., found in products like Advil, Motrin, and Aleve. Dogs don’t metabolize these drugs well; ingestions result in stomach ulcers and kidney failure.
  4. Over the counter cough, cold and allergy medications: Those that contain acetaminophen or decongestants, such as pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine, are particularly toxic.
  5. Rodenticides (mouse poison): These may cause internal bleeding (brodifacoum, bromadiolone, etc.) or brain swelling (bromethalin), even in small amounts.
  6. Grapes and raisins: These harmless human foods cause kidney damage in dogs.
  7. Insect bait stations: These rarely cause poisoning in dogs – the bigger risk is bowel obstruction when dogs swallow the plastic casing.
  8. Prescription ADD/ADHD medications: These amphetamines such as Adderall, Concerta, Dexedrine, and Vyvanse can cause tremors, seizures, cardiac problems and death in pets.
  9. Glucosamine joint supplements: Overdose of products typically only cause diarrhea; however, in rare cases, liver failure can develop.
  10. Silica gel packets and oxygen absorbers: Silica gel packs, found in new shoes, purses or backpacks, is rarely a concern. The real threats are the iron-containing oxygen absorbers found in food packages like beef jerky or pet treats, which can cause iron poisoning.

Cats: Top 10 Toxins of 2013

  1. Lilies: Plants in the Lilium species, such as Easter, Tiger, and Asiatic lilies, cause kidney failure in cats. All cat owners must be aware of these highly toxic plants!
  2. Household cleaners: Most general purpose cleaners (e.g., Windex, Formula 409) are fairly safe, but concentrated products like toilet bowl or drain cleaners can cause chemical burns.
  3. Flea and tick spot-on products for dogs: Those that are pyrethroid based (e.g., Zodiac, K9 Advantix, Sergeant’s, etc.) cause tremors and seizures and can be deadly to cats.
  4. Antidepressants: Cymbalta and Effexor topped our antidepressant list in 2013. Cats seem strangely drawn to these medications. Beware – ingestion can cause severe neurologic and cardiac effects.
  5. NSAIDs: Cats are even more sensitive than dogs to drugs like ibuprofen and naproxen. Even veterinary specific NSAIDs like Rimadyl and Meloxicam should be used with caution.
  6. Prescription ADD/ADHD medications: These amphetamines such as Adderall, Concerta, Dexedrine, and Vyvanse can cause tremors, seizures, cardiac problems and death.
  7. Over the counter cough, cold and allergy medications: Those that contain acetaminophen (e.g., Tylenol) are particularly toxic, as they damage red blood cells and cause liver failure.
  8. Plants containing insoluble calcium oxalate crystals: Common houseplants like the peace lily, philodendron, and pothos can cause oral/upper GI irritation, foaming at the mouth, and inflammation when ingested, but severe symptoms are uncommon.
  9. Household insecticides: Thankfully, most household sprays and powders are fairly safe, but it’s best to keep curious kitties away until the products have dried or settled.
  10. Glow sticks and glow jewelry: These irresistible “toys” contain a chemical called dibutyl phthalate. When it contacts the mouth, pain and excessive foaming occurs, but the signs quickly resolve when the cat eats food or drinks water.

Here are lists from the ASPCA, HSUS and a few others.

https://www.google.com/search?q=poisonous+to+pets&rlz=1C1CHNV_en___US460&aq=f&oq=poisonous+to+pets&aqs=chrome.0.57j0j60j0l2j62.14216&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

So read up and remember that prevention is key but if your pet eats something they shouldn’t act fast and call your vet.

Share
-->